Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Stations

I read a story in the Friend magazine a few months ago called "Sunday Stations". It shared an idea that was exactly what I had been praying for. We have 9:00 church, which I love, but I find that the rest of the day tends to drag on and not be very meaningful. There are definitely things we don't do on Sundays that make it different than other days, but I was yearning to add more spiritual activities in a way that was fun and entertaining for the kids. I decided to start "Sunday Stations" in our home and I feel like we have gotten a little more out of the phrase "keeping the Sabbath Day holy". Each Sunday we decide what we want the stations to be. The kids can choose from: reading a story from the Friend/New Era, reading their scriptures, listening to Primary Program songs, working on Articles of Faith, setting goals in Faith and God/Duty to God books, making phone calls to family, writing a letter (e-mail) to family or Ward Missionary, reading a story from the Gospel Art Kit, doing activities on the lds.org website, and many more. Each rotation is 15 minutes, so in all it's about an hour. The girls really look forward to it and most of the time, Matthew enjoys it too!:) I know it's not much, but it feels like such an accomplishment when we finish. My hope is that my kids will enjoy developing habits as they learn of the Savior and do as He would do. I am so thankful for Church magazines that are full of good ideas that I can use in my home!

6 comments:

The Shiflet Family said...

I LOVE that idea! It is hard with younger kids to keep the Sabbath day holy. I am going to try to incorporate that into our family. Thanks for being such an inspiration.

The Slider Family said...

What a great thing to help our kids learn this at such a young age!

Mel said...

I loved that story and my kids asked if they could do it right after I read it to them!

bettina said...

What a great idea! I'll definately try that when the kiddos get a little older!

Staci J said...

That's so awesome Kyra! What a great way to get everyone involved in a "productive" Sabbath:)

We are all "SPECIAL" said...

Hey my blog went private!! Send me your email if you wanna be my friend!!

briannamallen80@yahoo.com