Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Becoming A Young Man

My son turned 12 years old today! I swear it seems like yesterday that he was a newborn baby in my arms. And now, because time truly flies by, he will be receiving the Priesthood on Sunday. It has been amazing to watch him grow into a young man right before my eyes!
Matthew enjoyed his breakfast in bed...which included: fried eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, grapes, and milk. Yum! This is a birthday tradition I had in my family growing up. So fun!
Matthew got to open one of his gifts after breakfast. Of course, it was a new birthday outfit. As can be seen, he was quite excited about it.
Looking good Matthew!:)
A tradition that I started, is for me to take each kid out to lunch on their birthday. I get them out of school and take them to their favorite restaraunt...Matthew's is McDonald's. Chicken strips, fries, and root beer are his "usual". I treasured spending that little bit of alone time with him today!
One of Matthew's gifts were little army guys. He lined them up and...
...used them as target practice with his air-soft gun. So cool!
Matthew loves Rascal Flatts! He got their new CD.
Grandpa and Grandma Slider surprised him with a new basketball. He was so excited!
He got a fun hand held skateboard game from his cousin, Mason.
Mom and Matthew. I still can't believe he is 12!
Group picture...say cheese!
Matthew wanted to lite the candles on his cake (that's what you do when you're 12). When he blew out the match, his breath was aimed right at the candles, so he blew some of them out as well. It was so funny!
Blow Matthew! He got them all in one breath, which makes me happy, because that means he has NO GIRLFRIENDS!:)
Matthew has on his new basketball warm-up pants that unsnap all the way down the sides. Cool! He was showing us some of his moves. The boy has talent, including spinning the ball on his finger.
What a fun day! I am so glad you had a great birthday! I want you to know that you are a pretty special kid. You are an older brother to 3 sisters who love you and look up to you. I am thankful that you are surrounded by a good group of friends. I hope that you will always work hard to live out your dreams. Know that you are blessed with so many people in your life who love and support you. Your dad and I are always here for you. Happy Birthday Matthew! I love you...my little young man!

2 comments:

Karissa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW! Looks like you had an awesome day! Im jealous of all your cool gifts:) Love ya and miss ya!

Mel said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! Holy Cow time goes by fast. Looks like he had an awesome birthday!