Saturday, June 5, 2010

First Sprint Triathlon

I got home from Girls Camp the day before my Triathlon, and I was tired. I prayed that night that I would sleep well to have the energy I needed for the race...my prayer was answered! I felt fully rested that morning! Will, a veteran triathlete from my Ward, offered to pick me up and help me arrange my Transition area. With everything in place I was ready to go! The race consisted of a 600 meter swim, 12 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run. I finished in 1 hour and 35 minutes; 64th out of 100 contestants, but 14th out of 37 women! I'm happy with the outcome and hope to have a chance to participate in more Sprint Triathlons in the future!
Matt worked the night before, so I was grateful to him for coming with the kids to support me. They got there just before it started and gave me the "Go Mom" cheers that I needed!
The swim was in the cold Utah Lake. I prepared for this by renting a wet suit, which was a chore getting on and not flattering at all. I was most nervous about this leg of the race. First of all, I hadn't trained in open, dirty, cold water. Secondly, I was afraid of swimming with a lot of people near me. Thankfully, the swim was done in waves of about 20 people...I was in the 4th wave. Adrenaline helped me get right in! The wet suit worked great with protecting my body from the cold and also making me buoyant, but the cold water on my face was a shock. Every time the water splashed my face it took my breath away. I struggled to control my breathing, so I swam the best I could while alternating the side and back stroke (which I got the idea from many others around me), instead of freestyle like I had trained. I was frustrated and exhausted when I finished, but thrilled that I wasn't the last one out!:) Plus, my time was just under 16 minutes, which was right in my target zone...yay me!
My 1st Transition took me about 2 1/2 minutes, which is long for those who are pro, but I was happy with it being my first time. I had to take off the wet suit, slightly dry off with a towel, put on my clothes, socks, shoes, and helmet, and get the bike off the rack.
The biking leg was my favorite part! I finished it in about 46 minutes and was thankful that I didn't get a flat. I rented a road bike and picked it up the night before. I could tell in the little bit I rode it that night that it was going to make a huge difference in my time compared to my mountain bike I'd been training on. Having a road bike knocked off nearly 15 minutes, which made it worth it! It was light and rode smoothly. There were some tough hills, but for the most part, I felt like I was flying during the race!
My 2nd Transition was fast. I hung my bike up, and replaced my helmet with a hat...bam!
I was so surprised at how good I felt when I started the run. Running is my least favorite of the three legs, but I have built up the endurance for it. Although, a little ways into the race there was a long, gradual hill that kicked my butt by the time I got to the top! I was barely moving, but I kept going and ran the entire way in just under 31 minutes. I sprinted to the Finish Line, never being so excited to cross one. What an accomplishment!

Now let me paint a picture that was only taken with my eyes. I was so grateful for my cheering squad - Matt, Matthew, Kynlee, Karley, Kenzie, Tim, Donna, and Carolyn - who were rooting for me at the beginning and end of each leg. When I ran around the last corner, heading for the Finish Line, and saw my loved ones cheering me on, I had this amazing spiritual experience. I pictured my loved ones who have gone before me, who are cheering me on in the Race of Life that we are all a part of. They want me to train hard, finish, and make it back home! The Savior said in Matthew 10:22, "He that endureth to the end shall be saved." I will continue to build my spiritual endurance, so that someday I will cross the eternal Finish Line. I am thankful for my support group here on Earth and in Heaven!

No comments: