Sunday, September 14, 2008

Evening In The Canyon

We love American Fork Canyon! It is about a 30 minute drive from our house. We enjoy being surrounded by the trees and being near the river. It's also always fun to build a fire and just hang out. Last night we went up for the evening. We hiked around for a while when we first got there. It was fun exploring as a family. We got hungry quick so we started the fire. Matthew put his Scout knowledge to use and made some kindling with his axe. Matt taught the kids to build the fire in a tee pee style, and then let each of them light the newspaper. We watched as the fire got bigger and bigger. For dinner, we brought stuff to make pizza pockets. All you need is tortillas, sauce, pepperoni, chesse, and tin foil. We placed them in the fire to cook a couple of minutes on each side. They are so yummy and fun to make! Then we busted out the marshmallows and hot chocolate (Yes, it was chilly!). By then it was getting dark, so we just hung around the campfire. The kids had such a blast playing "flashlight hide and go seek". They were so brave to hide somewhere in the complete dark, including little Kenzie, and wait for the person who was it to shine their flashlight on them. I enjoyed watching them have so much fun! We would have stayed longer, but right now, in my life, I am completely terrified of coming in contact with a bear. Silly, I know. It was so wonderful to be together as a family in one of our most favorite spots. We can't wait until next time!:)

4 comments:

Meredith Ferrin said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I can't believe how much you and Matt still look the same.....

I'm jealous of the long sleeves...we are still at least 2 months away from that!!!

Shani said...

You guys are always doing something fun, I don't know why we never think to do things like that out of the blue--I'm definitely going to start being more spontaneous!
Are you going to GNO on Saturday? I can't wait!!

BeckyinQC said...

I'm SO jealous of the beautiful forest you have so close to you. Not that the cactus we are surrounded by isn't pretty, but I am definitely partial to the tall pines and "woodland" areas. You guys looked like you had fun. Something that would be right up up my family's alley - only it's 3 hours away! :(

Jesse and Karissa said...

Ok sis Im sitting here watching your slide show and totally bawling my eyes out. I miss you and the kids so much, oh and matt too! COME HOME TO ME PLEASE!!!!
Its just not the same without you here. I was talking to Brigg last night about his birthday party and asked who he's gonna invite. When he got to Matthew,Kynlee and Karley, I said they wont be able to come cause their in utah. He totally got teary eyed. It was so sad. Sorry to make you feel so bad but hopefully one day it will work and you'll move back home.

ps. Damn that rascal flatts song:)