Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tour Of Kennecott Concentrator

This is the 20 year celebration of the Copperton Concentrator and they invited all the employees and their families for a tour and lunch. Matt works in the pit now, but when he worked for CIS down in Mesa he would travel up here to the Concentrator to do the liner changes in the Ball and Sag mills. On the tour, I was completely in awe of the size of the equipment, but most of all that Matt has the knowledge and ability to work on it. What a man!:)
Matt and I standing in front of 1 of the 4 Sag mills. They are part of the crushing and grinding process. We had to wear safety glasses and ear plugs on the tour. This shows a Sag mill which feeds 2 smaller ball mills. I know, it's confusing, but totally impressive.
Tim, Donna, Matt and I at the Flotation process. It was so amazing!

All the good stuff attaches to the bubbles and flows over the edge and continues into the next process.We stopped at the Visitor's Center at the Bingham Canyon Mine where Matt works on Shovels and Drills. Looking at the "pit" is like looking at the Grand Canyon...the size is breathtaking! The Haul trucks look like ants hard at work.
Tim and Donna standing in front of a Haul truck tire. It is enormous!
Matt and I in front of the tire. Each Haul truck has 6 of these monsters!
In this picture you can see the size difference between a regular pick-up truck (white) next to the massive Haul truck. Also, in the middle of the picture is the Shovel that Matt works on. It loads 300 tons into the back of the Haul truck.

5 comments:

Shani said...

Wow, that really is very impressive. It reminds me of the many trips I made into the coal mine with my dad as a young girl. Totally different, but still intriguing.

Mel said...

Holy smokes! Looks like that would be a fun tour!

Karissa said...

How Fun! You are always doing the funnest stuff. Soon you wont have anything else to do so you can move back home:)

Anonymous said...

YEAH I FOUND YOU!!! I am so glad that you have a blog! I loved reading about your adventures. You sure are having fun up there, but it is sure a lonely neighborhood without you here:( Take care!

billy slider said...

you guys look great! ive missed you lots and cant wait to see my BIG nieces and nephew. thank you for the christmas cards, it helped a lot and meant the world to me. talk to ya soon.