Friday, October 16, 2009

Temple Square Trip

We have been reading as a family in the Doctrine & Covenants. A couple of nights ago we read about the death of Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum. It's really hard to not get choked up about the horrible way they died. The older kids reminded me of the movie about Joseph Smith they saw a few years ago, and showed interest in seeing it again. Well, it worked out perfect that they had Fall Break the next couple of days. Everyone was so excited to make a trip to Temple Square! We jumped on Trax and headed downtown, which meant I didn't have to worry about parking. Once at Temple Square we went to the Visitors' Center, the Tabernacle to watch an organ performance, the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to watch the IMAX movie, Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration, and we squeezed in a tour of The Beehive House. The movie was every one's favorite by far, but I have to say that the organ show was definitely next! We had a great time and I am so thankful for kids that show an interest in "churchy" stuff from time to time!
These guys think it is so cool to ride on Trax downtown!
The Salt Lake temple is absolutely gorgeous! I found the coolest spot to take a perfect picture! What do you think, Dad?
The kids didn't think the size of Angel Moroni, in the previous picture, looked as big as how they saw him, so I had to take a close-up...now he's big!
The girls standing with the statue of Christ at the Visitors' Center. Matthew was to embarrassed to be in the picture because of other people in the room. Kenzie was very quiet as she saw the nail prints in his hands and feet. It was a very tender moment!
The organ performance was awesome! The organist was Clay Christiansen, who I recognized as the older guy that accompanies the Tabernacle Choir during General Conference. He started off by demonstrating how well the acoustics are in the Tabernacle by tearing a sheet of paper and dropping pins. The sounds produced were crystal clear...amazing! As he played the lighting changed colors. The songs were powerful and we all watched with mouths wide opened! It is a must see!
I can't help but to think of walking the halls in this historic temple with my beautiful kids someday.
Two beautiful girls amidst a beautiful garden!
When we came out of the amazing, powerful, and tear-jerking movie (Kynlee and I had red, swollen eyes), this was a statue we saw - Joseph and Hyrum Smith. I love these men! My kids have a new-found love and appreciation for the life of Joseph Smith. I know that Joseph Smith tested his faith and saw the Father and His Son. Because of these exemplary men, who restored the true church, I am able to enjoy the blessings of the gospel. I am forever grateful for their devotion and sacrifice.
This is a view of the temple from the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building...what a site! It was such a great trip! I'm so glad my kids wanted to go!

No comments: